ACMOC
Login
ACMOC
311 liner height

311 liner height

Showing 1 to 8 of 8 results
DGriffin
Topic Author
Offline
Member
Send a private message to DGriffin
Posts: 16
Thank you received: 0

gday can anybody help me with the piston liner protrusion specs for a 311 engine in 112 grader s/no s9t56

Please log in or create an account to join the conversation.
Sun, Jul 19, 2026 11:23 PM
edb
Offline
Member
Send a private message to edb
Posts: 4,213
Thank you received: 86

here is a few Cat articles on the subject--general protrusion for early engines was given as 0.001" to 0.005" with a maximum difference between any two cylinders as 0.002"

Hope these help--

Eddie B.

Please log in or create an account to join the conversation.
Mon, Jul 20, 2026 12:15 AM
edb
Offline
Member
Send a private message to edb
Posts: 4,213
Thank you received: 86
Please log in or create an account to join the conversation.
Mon, Jul 20, 2026 12:15 AM
edb
Offline
Member
Send a private message to edb
Posts: 4,213
Thank you received: 86

This page from a 3306 engine manual describes how to properly measure liner protrusion--a depth mic. or careful use of a digital vernier caliper at a pinch can be used as these were the tools before Cat came out with the gauge shown.

Eddie B.

Please log in or create an account to join the conversation.
Mon, Jul 20, 2026 12:17 AM
edb
Offline
Member
Send a private message to edb
Posts: 4,213
Thank you received: 86

S9T0056 ( Steelweld 212 built in Australia under License) is equivalent of a 9T4092 so look for manuals for the American 9t grader for their manuals.

Eddie B.

Please log in or create an account to join the conversation.
Mon, Jul 20, 2026 12:27 AM
ChrisE
Offline
Member
Send a private message to ChrisE
Location: Geelong
Posts: 211
Thank you received: 41

I have always measured liner height with a small engineers square and a feeler gauge. I made a tool to hold a dial indicator like in the picture but someone wanted it more than me so back to the old way of doing it.

Please log in or create an account to join the conversation.
Mon, Jul 20, 2026 3:00 AM
DGriffin
Topic Author
Offline
Member
Send a private message to DGriffin
Posts: 16
Thank you received: 0
Reply to edb:

This page from a 3306 engine manual describes how to properly measure liner protrusion--a depth mic. or careful use of a digital vernier caliper at a pinch can be used as these were the tools before Cat came out with the gauge shown.

Eddie B.

thanks my heights fall within those specs I'm having trouble with number 4 cylinder pressurizing the cooling system i was sure it was a liner height issue i just done new liners and rings on this engine I've also had the precon chamber seats machined thinking it may not be seating rite there doesn't appear to be any cracks in cylinder head I'm slowly running out of options

Please log in or create an account to join the conversation.
Mon, Jul 20, 2026 4:23 AM
Ray54
Offline
Member
Send a private message to Ray54
Posts: 2,141
Thank you received: 59
Reply to DGriffin:

thanks my heights fall within those specs I'm having trouble with number 4 cylinder pressurizing the cooling system i was sure it was a liner height issue i just done new liners and rings on this engine I've also had the precon chamber seats machined thinking it may not be seating rite there doesn't appear to be any cracks in cylinder head I'm slowly running out of options

I had similar issues with a D 318. I had a very talented machinist that could of built tooling to dress the pre combustion chamber sets, but did not want to. He had me try real copper washers as the gasket. He had box of different sizes from McMaster-Carr We picked the size that fit and I ordered more. Solved my problem. I had new washer from Cat. Had nice copper look, copper would starch off to reveal steel base with copper paint on the Cat ones from 20 years ago. Just another thing to try, before pulling your last hair out.

Please log in or create an account to join the conversation.
Mon, Jul 20, 2026 5:12 PM
DGriffin
Topic Author
Offline
Member
Send a private message to DGriffin
Posts: 16
Thank you received: 0
Reply to Ray54:

I had similar issues with a D 318. I had a very talented machinist that could of built tooling to dress the pre combustion chamber sets, but did not want to. He had me try real copper washers as the gasket. He had box of different sizes from McMaster-Carr We picked the size that fit and I ordered more. Solved my problem. I had new washer from Cat. Had nice copper look, copper would starch off to reveal steel base with copper paint on the Cat ones from 20 years ago. Just another thing to try, before pulling your last hair out.

thanks for that I will check the washers I tried swapping a chamber from one of the cylinders that are not pressurizing cooling system and the problem is staying in number 4 cylinder .

Please log in or create an account to join the conversation.
Mon, Jul 20, 2026 11:23 PM
Showing 1 to 8 of 8 results
YouTube Video Placeholder

Follow Us on Social Media

Our channel highlights machines from the earliest Holt and Best track-type tractors, equipment from the start of Caterpillar in 1925, up to units built in the mid-1960s.

Upcoming Events

View Calendar
ACMOC

Antique Caterpillar
Machinery Owners Club

1115 Madison St NE # 1117
Salem, OR 97301

[email protected]

Terms & Privacy
Website developed by AdCo

Testimonials

"I also joined a year ago. had been on here a couple of times as a non-member and found the info very helpful so I got a one year subscription (not very expensive at all) to try it out. I really like all the resources on here so I just got a three year. I think its a very small price for what you can get out of this site."
-Jason N

Join Today!